Monday, January 24, 2011

1 Peter 2:1-3 - tasting God?

Scripture: 1 Peter 2:1-3

Summary: Get rid of all malice, guile, insincerity, envy, and slander. Long for the pure, spiritual milk.

Thoughts: Get rid of all the bad stuff in your life, this scripture says. Rid yourself of it. Throw it away. Then, like babies, we should long for the "pure, spiritual milk." Clean your life and then feed yourself on the purest of foods, the spiritual milk from God, so that you can grow in salvation. We must work every day at our salvation, changing our lives, making different choices, so that we can slowly change ourselves into the likeness of Christ.  And this scripture ends on an interesting note. All of this we should do "if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good."  We have heard all of our lives that "God is good.'  And we have seen many instances where the Lord provided good things for us. But have we tasted that the Lord is good? Has God become such an integral part of us that we have tasted the God is good? I know that I have tasted that God is good during communion. As I ingested the body and blood of Christ, given for me, I have known with my entire being that God is good. All the time. And so, in response, I will try to clean my life and feed myself on pure, spiritual milk so that I may grow in God. Thanks be to God.

Prayer: Help me to work this day on cleaning out my life so that I can feed on your pure, spiritual milk. Amen.

No comments: