Friday, April 18, 2008

Luke 5:1-11 - From Fear to Courage

Scripture: Luke 5:1-11

Summary: This is the story of Jesus calling 3 of the disciples, who were fisherman. First he asks them to take him out in the boat where he preaches to the crowd. Then he has them let down their nets. The catch is so big they need help to bring it in. Then they leave everything and follow Jesus.

Thoughts: When Jesus tells them to let down their nets, Peter says that they have been fishing all day and caught nothing. But then he says that if Jesus tells him to, he will let down the net. Peter doesn't want to waste time continuing to fish when there have been no fish all day long. But Jesus spoke with such authority that Peter was willing to try one more time. This is what I want to change in my life. I want to be willing to put down my net one more time, even if I haven't caught anything all day. Especially on those Sundays when nothing seems to go right at church and all day you have been battling technology that isn't working, or youth that have a 30 second attention span. And then all of the sudden, Jesus tells you to let your net down one more time. And you take a moment to talk with your youth about accepting diversity. And they hear you. They get it. But not because you let the net down any differently. But because the Holy Spirit touched their hearts. Because it's never what I have done, but what God has done through me.

Prayer: Please continue to remind me that I am not the one who saves people. Only God can do that. But sometimes God can use my words to reach those people around me. Let me be willing to let down my net one more time, even when it seems hopeless. And let me listen well enough to hear the command from Jesus to let down my net. Amen.

No comments: