Thursday, April 3, 2008

Luke 24:13-27 - Jesus Meets Us On the Way

Scripture: Luke 24:13-27

Summary: This is the story of the walk to Emmaus. Two disciples are heading to Emmaus and they meet a stranger who explains to them everything that happened with Jesus. When they reach Emmaus they ask the stranger to stay and eat with them. When he breaks the bread they realize that it is Jesus and he disappears. Then they say to each other, weren't our hearts burning within us while he talked to us?

Thoughts: OK, it's been almost 2 months since I've blogged. I knew it would be a busy semester, but nothing like this! 10.5 hours of classes in seminary and a 20 hour a week job plus other jobs are overwhelming me! But here I am finally. So... This scripture reminds me that the risen Christ walks beside each of us, every day. And as Reuben Job says, he is "awaiting our invitation to stay with us, break bread with us, interpret life for us, give us hope, and share in our thanksgiving." What more could we ask for but to have Jesus by our side each day to help us with our daily trials? We have only to invite him to join us. And finally, let's don't forget that Jesus was made known to these disciples in the breaking of the bread. This is one reason that I never pass up an opportunity for communion. I want to break bread with the risen Christ.

Prayer: Lord, open our eyes so that we might feel your presence with us on our daily journey. Let us share a meal with you and then share a meal with those on the margins. Help me to remember always to share what I have. Amen.

No comments: