Saturday, February 9, 2008

Hebrews 4:1-11 - Come and Rest Awhile

Scripture: Hebrews 4:1-11

Summary: This scripture encourages us to enter into God's rest, much as God rested on the 7th day of creation.

Thoughts: The scripture says "let us take care that none of you should seem to have failed to reach it," speaking about God's rest. I don't know about you, but I could really use some rest! I'm behind in my reading for all of my classes and I have 2 conference retreats to plan for in the next 2 weeks! I'm stressed and feeling like I don't have 5 minutes to rest and reflect. But Reuben Job says "Decide today to establish a way of life that includes time for daily prayer, reflection, and regular worship in a congregation." I'm already doing the regular worship thing every Sunday. My church is awesome and feeds me. But I'm not taking the time each day to pray, reflect, and listen for God. God wants to spend time with me even more than I want to spend time with God. So why is that not happening? It's because I'm not making the time. So maybe, in this season of Lent, you and I can find the time to give to God. Because even just 5 minutes with God each day will feed us in ways we can't even imagine!

Prayer: Steadfast God, you are there, waiting, patiently, for me to make time for you. You, who have given me everything, long for some time with me each day. Let me be willing to make that time for you so that you might feed me. Amen.

No comments: