Monday, January 28, 2008

Psalm 63:1-8 - The wisdom of seeking God

Scripture: Psalm 63:1-8

Summary: The main point of this scripture is that praise is due to God. God forgives us and delivers us.

Thoughts: I missed a week of blogging so I'm going to cover last week's topic today and do this week's later in the week. This psalm talks about the wisdom of seeking God in a sideways manner. Rather than telling us why it is important to seek God, the writer tells us why we might want to seek God. Those who live in God's courts are happy, God forgives sin, God delivers us, God is awesome. All very good reasons for seeking God. I just got back on Saturday from Fredericksburg, TX where I attended a service celebrating the life of my aunt Lois. Although Lois was not perfect (none of us really are!), she did make the decision late in her life to really study the Bible and theology. She attended a few classes in seminary. And she was studying the Bible using the Interpreters Study Bible (all 12 volumes!). She took her faith seriously and she was constantly seeking God. Am I taking it seriously this call to seek God? Am I wise, as my aunt was, in structuring my life so that I will have time to seek God? Or am I putting off those things that help me seek? Honestly, when my day fills up, it is often my Bible study time that gets neglected. These next few months, until May, are going to be very busy. I need help challenging myself to keep up the Bible study and prayer time. I need to seek God with more vigor.

Prayer: Lord, remind me daily how critical it is to my health, physically and mentally and spiritually, to seek after you constantly. Amen.

No comments: