Thursday, June 16, 2011

Acts 1:12-26 - Are You the Twelfth Disciple?

Scripture: Acts 1:12-26

Summary: The disciples return to Jerusalem and gather Jesus' followers together. Peter tells them that they need to replace Judas, who betrayed Jesus and then killed himself. Two men are proposed, Joseph and Matthias. They cast lots and Matthias is chosen.

Thoughts: I heard someone speak about Matthias the other day (sorry, I don't remember who or I would give them credit!).  I searched through my on-line Bible, and discovered that what the speaker said is true, Matthias is never mentioned in the Bible again after he is chosen. So it makes me wonder, why did the writer of Acts feel that it was necessary to tell us that the disciples chose someone new to replace Judas, but never tell us what this person did? When I read the Bible, I often wonder why the writer chose to include something. In this case, I wonder what is the significance of making sure that there are 12 disciples. Why did they chose one more person to be a disciple? Why not let both men be disciples?  Wouldn't it be better to have more? Having just been Commissioned as a Deacon in the United Methodist Church, I understand that it is important to recognize those that God is calling to ministry. It gives us authority to do the work that God is calling us to. I'm afraid though, that what gets lost in all of this is that each of us has a call from God. Just because I work in a church doing ministry, doesn't make my work any more important than the work that others do. Even though you are not the one "chosen" to be the twelvth disciple, your ministry is valuable. God is still calling you. What is God calling YOU to do?

Prayer: Help me to follow in the footsteps of the original disciples, who were following in the footsteps of Christ. Speak to me, God, and show me the way you would have me go. Amen.

No comments: