Thursday, March 8, 2012

Acts 4:13-22 - I Cannot Keep from Speaking

Scripture: Acts 4:13-22

Summary: The people in power saw that Peter and John were uneducated, ordinary men and they were amazed. They told them not to speak or teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John told them that they "cannot keep from speaking about what we have seen and heard."

Thoughts: Peter and John were uneducated and ordinary men.  And yet, they could preach to a crowd and 3000 people come to follow Christ! (see Acts ch 2) So when the people in power put them in jail overnight, you might expect them to be afraid. But they are not afraid. Instead, when the elders tell them they must stop talking about Jesus, they refuse, saying they cannot keep from speaking about what they have seen and heard. How brave these apostles were! But what does this scripture say to us today? We are not threatened if we speak about Jesus Christ. But that doesn't mean that we take every opportunity that we have to do so. Jesus Christ changed my life. Because of that, I should be just like Peter and John, unable to keep from speaking about Jesus and how he has changed my life. The grace that God has shown me, through the life, death, and resurrection of Christ, has changed my life. How am I going to respond to that grace?

Prayer: God, make me fearless to share what I have seen and heard so that all may know about your Son and thus know Your love. Amen.

No comments: