Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Mark 1:1-8 - God's preposterous promise

Scripture: Mark 1:1-8

Summary: John the Baptist is baptizing people for repentence of their sins. He proclaims that another is coming who will baptize you with the Holy Spirit.

Thoughts: It's the beginning of advent, the season that we use to prepare for the coming of Christ. I want to share what Reuben Job has to say: "I can believe, rejoice, and wait trustingly and expectantly for the unfolding of God's promise given so many ways and most clearly in the Advent story. Thanks be to God!" Advent can be so many things for us. It can be the time we use to decorate the house, buy presents, send cards, and go to parties. Or it can be the time we use to prepare ourselves spiritually for the coming of the Christ, the coming of God in human flesh.

Prayer: God, I know I can't totally avoid all of the Christmas hype and busyness, but help me to spend time this season focusing on Jesus Christ and what his coming means to my life. Help me to spend some time pondering this miracle. Thanks be to God! Amen.

No comments: