Tuesday, September 28, 2010

James 1:17-18 - Good works

Scripture: James 1:17-18

Summary: All of our generous acts come from God

Thoughts: How many times have I done something good for someone else, just to look back later and pat myself on the back for being so self-less. I used to be really proud that I had made over 20 trips to Juarez to build a house or school or something else. I not only worked but I took teams of people to work alongside of me. Surely there will be some special place in heaven for those of us who worked so tirelessly for others during our short time here on earth. But am I really the one who deserves the credit for the work that I did? Did I raise all of the money for the trips by myself? Did I find a volunteer at the last minute when one of my drivers was unable to go? Would I have done any of that work if it hadn't been for God who enabled me to do so? I don't think so. As the scripture says, I think that "every generous act of giving, with every perfect gift, is from above." Our acts are a response to the generous gift of grace that God gives us. The grace that God offers to each of us, with no strings attached.

Prayer: God, thank you for enabling me to serve others in this world in your name. Amen.

No comments: