Wednesday, September 29, 2010

James 1:19-21 - Be quick to listen

Note: I should probably mention that I am assuming that readers of this blog read the scripture when they are reading the blog. Although I include a summary of the scripture, you will miss a good deal of what the scripture says if you depend on my summary.

Scripture: James 1:19-21

Summary: Listen more than you speak and welcome the Word that God has planted in us to save our souls.

Thoughts: The first part of this scripture really speaks to me today (funny that I chose to use the word speaks!). When I'm having a conversation with someone, it is so easy for me to listen to them with only half of my brain, while the other half begins to formulate my response to them. But people who are really good listeners are able to turn this off, so that they give you their entire attention when you are speaking. Then they formulate their response and give that to you. What a different world this would be if we all followed this pattern and became better listeners. On this track, what if we take this same listening skill and apply it to our interaction with God? What if we spent half of our prayer time listening to God with our whole hearts, rather than spending the entire time talking? Isn't prayer really a conversation? Shouldn't we give God our best, listening to any word from God with care?

Prayer: Help me God to be "quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to anger." And especially to be quick to listen for your word to me. Amen.

No comments: