Wednesday, October 6, 2010

James 2:14-17 - good works

Scripture: James 2:14-17

Summary: What good is it if you say you have faith but do not have works? Faith without works is dead!

Thoughts: John Wesley (the founder of Methodism) used to say that we are saved by faith alone. All we need for salvation is faith. If we accept the grace that God surrounds us with, then we are saved. Why then, do folks continue to talk about works? Because if you really accept God's gift to you of grace, you will want to respond. You will want to do something in return. So the works that this author talks about are our response to God's love. Even Wesley said that, given the opportunity, everyone who is saved will perform good works. I like to think of it as God filling me up with grace until I am overflowing so that grace bubbles out of me and is seen by other people as good works. God is flowing out of me like a waterfall of good! So it is God that is responsible for the good work and not me.

Prayer: God fill me up with your grace and your love so that I am compelled to respond! Amen.

No comments: