Friday, October 29, 2010

James 3:13-18 - Wisdom

Note: I have started putting a link to the actual scripture in my blog, so please use that to read the scripture before reading the blog. Not sure why it took me so many years to think of that, but here you have it. :-)

Scripture: James 3:13-18

Summary: Wisdom from God is pure, peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits.

Thoughts: I love this particular scripture. As I read it I find myself wondering how much older I will need to be to have this kind of wisdom.  The writer says "Show by your good life that your works are done with gentleness born of wisdom."  Do you know someone who is wise in this way?  It reminds me of a few older adults that I know who are both gentle and wise. I have been striving for wisdom all of my life. I have a bachelors degree and two masters degrees and yet is is rare when I feel truly wise. In fact, it seems that the more that I learn in school the more I realize that I don't yet know. Perhaps this is a sign of the beginning of wisdom that I realize how little I really know. I read once that all of our wisdom comes from God. I'm not sure about this, but I do know that the wisdom that I get from God is the same kind that this scripture describes. It is peaceable, gentle, willing to yield and full of mercy and good fruits. I believe that it pleases God when we learn but just knowing things isn't enough.  We also need to put that knowledge to use for the kingdom of God. How can you use your knowledge today to serve God's kingdom?

Prayer: God whose wisdom is beyond our understanding, give us a small bit of your wisdom today and let is show in our works for your glory. Amen.

No comments: