Thursday, September 13, 2007

Psalm 34:11-22 - No condemnation

Scripture: Psalm 34:11-22

Summary: This psalm teaches us "the fear of the Lord." It says that no one who takes refuge in God will be condemned.

Thoughts: The psalmist offers us instruction on the fear of the Lord. Our tasks are: to keep from speaking deceit, depart from evil, do good, seek peace, and pursue it. This seems like a short enough list. But when you look at the details it becomes much more difficult. Even the easiest, to keep from speaking lies, is difficult to do every day! How much more so will we struggle to seek peace. Sometimes it seems impossible to pursue peace, even in our own neighborhood, our own house. How much more complicated to seek peace as a nation! But that is what God asks us to do. Over and over in the Bible God urges us toward peace.

Prayer: God of peace, give me the courage to seek peace everywhere that I go today. Help me to seek it at home with my family, in my neighborhood, at my church, in my country, even in the world. For it is through the efforts of each of us that you are able to bring your peace to all of us. Amen.

No comments: