Friday, September 28, 2007

Isaiah 61:1-7 - Compassion for the world

Scripture: Isaiah 61:1-7

Summary: The Lord "has sent me to bring good news to the oppressed, to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and release to the prisoners..."

Thoughts: There is alot more to the scripture than this portion, but I wanted to hone in on this one section. When I step back and look at the big picture of my life, what is God calling me to do? I thought for about 25 years that God was calling me to write software for computers. Was I wrong? Was I not listening to God? Maybe, maybe not. That is in the past and whether that is where God wanted me or not, I learned alot of valuable stuff that is coming in handy now as I practice my ministry. The real question for me is what is God calling me to do with the rest of my life? I find what I sense is an answer to that question in this (and other) scripture. God is calling me to change the lives of others, to help the oppressed, the brokenhearted, the captives. And no matter what job I go to next, this is where my focus will be, on others around me that I can be of assistance to.

Prayer: Please remind me daily that you are the God who gives special favor to the poor, the oppressed, the marginalized. And as a follower of Jesus, I should do the same. Amen

No comments: