Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Luke 24:28-35 - When Jesus slips away

Scripture: Luke 24:28-35

Summary: This text is the end of the story about the disciples meeting Jesus, after the resurrection on the road to Emmaus. It is not until Jesus breaks bread with them that they realize who he is. Then Jesus vanishes.

Thoughts: Even though we have often been told that God is always with us, there are times that it does not feel that way. I am struggling now because my sister is in the hospital 400 miles away. I am overwhelmed trying to make sure that she is well cared for, working on assignments for school, taking my kids to all of the places they need to be each week, etc. I feel far away from God right now. When Jesus left these disciples, though, it doesn't sound as if they felt abandoned. Far from it! When Jesus disappeared, they returned to Jerusalem to share their news with the other disciples. In my head, I know that God is always with me. But sometimes it doesn't feel that way. But what can I do to correct that feeling? Perhaps if I make more space for God in my life I will not feel so alone. By worshiping with others in community each week and by being more consistent in my prayer time, I may be able to shorten these times in my life when I can't feel God's presence.

Prayer: God, help me to stop hiding from you! Remind me daily, even hourly, that I need to spend time with you in order to be more aware of your presence and guidance in my life. Amen.

No comments: