Monday, October 29, 2007

Matthew 10:34-39 - Choose Life

Scripture: Matthew 10:34-39

Summary: Jesus says that he has come to set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother. Whoever loves their parents more than me isn't worthy of me. "Those who find their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will find it."

Thoughts: Isn't this what the choice of being Christian is all about? We can chose to worship the things that we possess, or we can choose to worship God. But sometimes when we chose God it is costly. Often those who chose to go into ministry pay for that choice with a limited income. So I can choose the job as a software engineer making $60,000 a year or I can chose the job working in an agency with the homeless for $25,000. The second choice may seem as if it is limitiing my life, but in reality isn't it really freeing me? Because it allows me to chose life. It allows me to change the lives of the marginalized people in my neighborhood. And isn't that really chosing life?

Prayer: Help me Lord, as it says in this scripture, to take up my cross and follow you. I want to be willing to lose my life for you and your creation. Amen.

No comments: