Friday, November 9, 2007

John 20:24-28 - From doubt to belief

Scripture: John 20:24-28

Summary: The disciple Thomas was not with the disciples the first time they saw Jesus after the resurrection so he didn't believe. When Jesus appeared among them the next time he offers to let Thomas put his fingers in his side, and Thomas believes in him.

Thoughts: Jesus tells Thomas "Have you believed because you have seen me? Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have come to believe." None of us have actually seen Jesus. I always thought how much easier it must have been for the disciples to believe because they actually spent time with Jesus. On the other hand, maybe it was harder for them. Because they knew Jesus, knew he ate and slept just like they did. Sometimes for me it is hard to imagine Jesus as a real person. What is it that takes us from doubt to belief? Why do we believe in Jesus Christ as our saviour? For me, it is because I can see the difference that knowing Jesus has made in the lives of many before me, seeing the difference he makes in the world today.

Prayer: Lord give me faith to share my belief in Jesus with those around me. And remind me daily that I also need to be changing the world so that the next generation can see the difference that Jesus has made in their world. Amen.

No comments: