Friday, August 31, 2007

Acts 2:37-42 - Repentance

Scripture: Acts 2:27-42

Summary: This scripture comes directly after the Holy Spirit descends on the disciples, they speak in many languages, and Peter preaches to the crowd. After the sermon, many of them are cut to the heart, asking what they should do. Peter tells them to repent and be baptized and about 3000 people were baptized.

Thoughts: Peter tells the people that the promise is "for you, for your children, and for all who are far away, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to him." God's promise is not just for the Jews, or those in my neighborhood or church, or those in my country. God's promise is for all of us. Sometimes it's hard to accept the fact that God is reaching out to us all. Surely God is not reaching out to the Iraqis, or the Hispanics, or the mentally challenged! But when I study the scripture, I find out that that is exactly who God is reaching out toward. In fact, God takes a great interest in the poor and the marginalized. So maybe I should too...

Prayer: You are the God of all people. Not just the God for Christians or for people who look like me. Remind me every day that I should treat everyone I meet as valued in your eyes. Amen.

No comments: