Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Mark 1:14-15 - Repentance

Scripture:Mark 1:14-15

Summary: After John the Baptist is arrested, Jesus says: "The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God has come near; repent, and believe in the good news."

Thoughts: I have been thinking about the kingdom of God alot lately. Now, if the word kingdom reminds you too much of a monarch who tries to control your life, then let's call it the reign of God. Either way, Jesus is telling us that the reign of God has come near. This is the good news that Jesus came to earth to proclaim, that the reign of God is near. It's coming. It's here but not all here yet. What's here? For me, the reign of God is that time when peace, justice, and healing rain down upon the earth. When every person has enough to eat and a place to sleep. When every child can go to school. When everyone gets equal treatment under the law. When all people take care of the earth and God's creation. I find myself longing for this time to be upon us! And then, of course, I begin to wonder what I can do to bring it here more quickly. What is God calling me to do today?

Prayer: God, remind me every day that your reign is upon us. Help me each day to contemplate what I can do that day to work toward your reign. Amen.

No comments: