Saturday, August 11, 2007

Matthew 7:7-11 - Prayer

Scripture: Matthew 7:7-11

Summary: Jesus says nott to pray so that everyone hears, but to pray secretly. He also gives them a prayer to pray (the Lord's Prayer).

Thoughts: Often during a church service, I hear someone praying beautiful prayers, that are eloquently put together. I find myself wishing that I could pray so eloquently. But what does God really want from us in terms of prayer? This scripture reminds me that God doesn't care how beautiful my prayers are. I believe that God wants each of us to pray in our own way. It's more important that our prayers be real expressions of our feelings and our needs. If you want to improve your prayer life, focus more on your feelings than on the words. What are you thankful for? What do you need? Who else do you want to pray for? A good outline can be found in the Lord's prayer.

Prayer: Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us. For thine is the kingdom, the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

No comments: